I’m a beginner at fishing, what gear should I get?
I just bought a small pack rod(2-10 lb Trailmaster III), so I’m planning on fishing lakes when I go camping or backpacking. I have a reel too, but there’s so many kinds of tackle that I don’t know what to buy. I’m not going for any specific fish, just whatever bites at lakes. So what should I use for sinkers, lures, etc?
Here is a list of terminal tackle & lures that would be wise to have for lake/stream fishing:
1. a variety of different sized split-shot- http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_100730____SearchResults
2. 3-4 different sized clip-on cork/floats/bobbers- http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_52873_100010004_100000000_100010000_100-10-4
3. a variety of bait-holder hooks from size 6 to size 1/0- http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_1771_100010002_100000000_100010000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT
4. some Flurocarbon leader material in size 8LB-10LB- http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_96676____SearchResults
5. Beetle Spin jigs, (these will catch anything from Trout, Panfish or Bass) in a variety of sizes- http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_15602____SearchResults
6. In-line Spinners, (another lure that catches a variety of fish)- http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_15446____SearchResults
Add some bait, (Earthworms, Shiners), needle-nose pliers, a towel, some nail-clippers or scissors, laminated instructions/diagram on how to tie a “Palomar”, “Blood” & “Improved Clinch” Knot, and you’d be set to catch most “anything” in Freshwater.
Hope this helps ya? Good fishing.
How to Bait a Fishing Rod