Im revamping my tackle box and am wondering what lures, weights, etc.. to buy. As well as a new rod/reel?
Im fishing in Nj surf as well as back bay and also fishing off piers, docks, and bridges. I need to know what stuff you would recommend and a nice rod reel combo I could get for under 100 dollars
Here’s the cheapest & most durable (for the price) Pier/Surf outfit you can purchase:
1. Daiwa, Black Gold model BG15- http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_2038_151001002_151000000_151001000_151-1-2
2. Ugly Stik Big Water 8 OR 10 Ft model MH- http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_19912____SearchResults
This outfit would price out around $129. Although not under your $100 budget, if properly cared for, this combo could easily last you 10 years PLUS. Please read the reviews.
In regards to tackle you:
There is certain “basic” terminal tackle you should have in your box. Here they are, (and a couple examples):
1. Various sized hooks ranging from 1/0 – 4/0 (The majority should be 2/0-3/0). I like circle hooks but short shank will work just fine.
2. Pyramid sinkers in various sizes ranging from 2 OZ – 5OZ (The majority should be 2 – 3 OZ)
3. Sinker Slides, (These help you attach your sinker without kinking your line.)- http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_71884____SearchResults
4. Nylon Coated Wire & sleeves 20LB (for the occasional Bluefish)- http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0011429317460a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=wire+leader&Ntk=Products&sort=all&Go.y=2&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=24
5. Barrel swivels
6. Flurocarbon leader material 16-20 LB – http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_2289____SearchResults
With just these few terminal tackle “goody’s” you can do quite a bit of fishing in and around Jersey’s saltwater environments.
However, you should have some of these too:
1. Casting Spoons, (For surf casting for Striper)- http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_57998_151004003_151000000_151004000_151-4-3
2. Casting minnow- http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_103380_151004002_151000000_151004000_151-4-2
3. Topwater – http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_30704_151004002_151000000_151004000_151-4-2
4. Hair Jigs
6. Curly Tailed bodys, (for your Jigs)
That’s (surprisingly) about it. You can add more lures as you wish.
Hope this helps ya?
My New Pfluger Rod and Reel combo